The eCommerce industry is currently dominating the entire business sector. It is very necessary for all web professionals to know the top eCommerce statistics to thrive in this sector.
Since internet access and adoption becomes easier, the number of digital buyers is increasing every year. According to Statista, over 2.14 billion people buy goods and services online worldwide up from 1.66 billion global digital buyers in 2016.
In order to build a solid strategy for your online business, you need the data behind online shopping. Here, we’ve listed more than 50 updated eCommerce statistics by categorizing them into different groups. Let’s start with the basic query-
How Statistics on eCommerce Can Benefit You
Knowing statistics about eCommerce could benefit you in many ways – in terms of enhancing knowledge, discovering future challenges and opportunities, and setting up strategies. It doesn’t matter whether you are an eCommerce initiator, entrepreneur, or web professional.
We have discussed the benefits for a specific group of people in the following points:
- Know about the current trends in the industry
- Discover future challenges and opportunities.
- Determine the goals & formulate your business strategies accordingly
- Enhance industry knowledge to play a significant role in the internet industry
Moreover, as a web writer, adding statistics to your content will enhance its quality and credibility.
Before jumping into the top list of eCommerce statistics, we will show you some of our selected data that will give you an idea of what we are going to cover. We are calling it “Editor’s eCommerce Statistics”.
Editor Choice eCommerce Statistics 2023
We have prepared our Editor’s Choice eCommerce Statistics based on the importance and the current trends that are very crucial to know. The stats are:
∎ The global eCommerce market reached a value of $13 Trillion in 2021, which is expected to reach $55.6 Trillion by 2027 – IMARC
∎ More than 2.14 billion people (27.6% of the total population) worldwide shop online as of 2021, which is expected to hit 95% in 2040 – Statista
∎ About 90% of eCommerce businesses fail after 120 days of their launch – MarketingSignals
∎ Nearly 73% of total global online shopping is done via mobile devices at present – Statista
∎ Around 81% of online shoppers research on the web before purchasing – Millimetric
Top eCommerce Statistics to Know in 2023
The top eCommerce statistics we are going to cover here will give you a clear picture of the eCommerce industry, both the present and the future. We have divided this part into 9 categories so that you can easily find them whenever you need them. The categories are:
- General Statistics on eCommerce
- B2C eCommerce Statistics
- B2B eCommerce Statistics
- Mobile eCommerce Statistics
- Social Media eCommerce Statistics
- Marketing Statistics about eCommerce
- eCommerce Statistics on SEO and Website
- eCommerce Statistics on Digital Payments
- eCommerce Statistics about Market Leaders
Now, you can browse any categories you want. You will find all the key statistics relevant to the category there.
General Statistics on eCommerce
1. The global eCommerce market reached a value of $13 Trillion in 2021, which is expected to reach $55.6 Trillion by 2027, exhibiting a CAGR of 27.4% – IMARC
2. Global retail eCommerce sales reached $4.9 trillion in 2021, which is expected to hit $7.4 trillion in 2025 – eMarketer
3. More than 12 million eCommerce companies exist globally, and over 7 million eCommerce websites are currently functioning across the world as of 2022 – PipeCandy
4. About 90% of eCommerce businesses fail after 120 days of their launch – MarketingSignals
5. More than 2.14 billion people (27.6% of the total population) worldwide shop online as of 2021, which is expected to hit 95% in 2040 – Statista
6. Around 68.8% of eCommerce users abandon their shopping carts globally as of 2022 – Baymard Institute
7. About 91% of business organizations opined that they have already adopted or have plans to adopt a digital-first business strategy as of 2021 – Foundry
8. Around 70% of business leaders believe subscription business models will be key to their prospects in the years ahead – Global Banking and Finance Review
9. About 92% of eCommerce operators are either actively working on or planning to integrate AI into their platforms – Statista
10. Application of omnichannel strategies helps businesses retain on average 89% of their customers – Softtek
11. Younger people shop online more than older people as millennials aged 25 to 34 years are the largest group of digital buyers – Statista
12. More than 58% of internet users buy something online every week – Datereportal
13. China has the world’s largest eCommerce industry ($672 billion) with one-third of global digital buyers (792.5 million people) as of 2021, leaving the US in second place – Statista
B2C eCommerce Statistics
14. About 19.6% of global retail sales have done online in 2021, which is expected to reach 25% in 2025 – Statista
15. B2C marketplace sales are estimated to reach $3.6 trillion by 2024 – Digital Commerce 360
16. About 44% of e-retailers are planning to shift into marketplaces – Retail Week
17. The global retail automation market size was valued at $11.26 billion in 2020, which is projected to reach $33.02 billion by 2030 – Next Move Strategy Consulting
18. Fashion items, tech products, trips, and digital content are the most-sold retail eCommerce items as of 2021 – Doofinder
B2B eCommerce Statistics
19. The B2B marketplace size reached $7.72 trillion in 2021, which is expected to hit $25.65 trillion by 2028 with a CAGR of B2B 18.7% – Grand View Research, Inc
20. B2B eCommerce sales experienced a 17% growth ($934.2 billion) in 2021 from $798.4 billion in 2020 – Digital Commerce 360
21. B2B eCommerce is less popular than B2C, but its market size is more than double that of B2C – Grand View Research, Inc
22. About 46% of B2B buyers prefer to buy directly from the suppliers – McKinsey & Company
23. Nearly 50% of B2B search queries are made on smartphones in 2020 – Google
Mobile eCommerce Statistics
24. About 73% of total global online shopping is done via mobile devices at present – Statista
25. More than $3.56 trillion in retail eCommerce sales were made by mobile users in 2021 – Statista
26. Conversion rates from mobile apps are 3x higher than mobile websites – Marketing Land
27. 40% of all online purchases made during the holiday season are done on smartphones – OuterBox
28. 93% of Millennials have compared online deals using a mobile device – Statista
Social Media eCommerce Statistics
29. The global social commerce market was $501 billion in 2021, which is expected to cross $792 billion in 2025 – Research and Markets
30. Nearly 30% of U.S internet users have purchased directly from a social platform in 2020 – eMarketer
31. Online stores with a social media presence have an average of 32% more sales than those that don’t – BigCommerce
32. Nearly 85% of orders from social media sites come from Facebook – Shopify
33. The annual spend on social media ads reached $154 billion in 2021, mostly spent on Facebook – Datereportal
Marketing Statistics about eCommerce
34. About 37% of eCommerce businesses fail due to poor online marketing – MarketingSignals
35. More than 32% of customers stop interacting with a brand they loved after one bad experience – PwC
36. The click-to-open rate of marketing email is around 14% globally – Statista
37. Email marketing generates 4,200% return on investment (ROI) – Data & Marketing Association (DMA)
38. Around 58% of people stop doing business with a company because of poor customer experience – Microsoft
eCommerce Statistics on SEO and Website
39. About 81% of online shoppers research on the web before purchasing – Millimetric
40. The probability of bounce rate increases 32% as page load time goes from 1 second to 3 seconds! – Google
41. Every second the site loads faster, the conversion rate improves by 17%! – Bidnamic
42. Around 24% of eCommerce orders are directly linked to organic traffic – Business Insider
43. On an average of 2% of eCommerce website visits only convert into a purchase – Oberlo
44. Nearly 35% of eCommerce businesses fail due to a lack of online search visibility – MarketingSignals
45. Around 75% of users admitted that they make judgments about a company’s credibility based on their website – Web Credibility Research, Stanford
46. More than one-third of American small businesses do not have a website – Visual Objects
eCommerce Statistics on Digital Payments
47. Total transaction value in the digital payments segment is projected to reach $8.56 trillion in 2022 – Statista
48. Digital payment systems are the second most popular payment method in the world, making 43% of the global transactions after credit cards (53%) – Kinsta
49. About 49% of total eCommerce expenditure worldwide was paid using digital payment systems – FIS
50. There are 426 million PayPal active users, making it the most popular digital payment system – Statista
eCommerce Statistics about Market Leaders
51. Marketplaces such as Amazon, eBay, and Alibaba account for 62% of global online retail sales – Statista
52. Amazon has been receiving over 2 billion of web traffic and selling around 300 million products every month for the last several years – Statista
53. Amazon’s total consolidated net sales revenue amounted to $ 469.82 billion in 2021 – Statista
54. eBay’s annual net revenue exceeded $10 billion for the first time in 2020 – eBay
55. Almost 2 in 3 US-based adults have a Netflix subscription – Statista
56. Upwork has over 12.5 million registered freelancers and 5.5 million clients – Wikipedia
FAQ on eCommerce Statistics
We have included some frequently asked questions on eCommerce and its statistics here, some of which you may find useful.
What is the current status of eCommerce?
The global eCommerce market size reached a value of $13 trillion and total sales exceeded $4.9 trillion in 2021. The entire eCommerce industry is expanding about 10 to 15 percent every year.
What is the success rate of an eCommerce business?
The average success rate of an eCommerce business is around 10%. A recent study by MarketingSignals found nearly 90% of eCommerce businesses fail after 120 days of their launch!
Why do people fail in eCommerce?
People fail in the eCommerce business due to a lack of innovation, proper investment, online search visibility, good website, and poor marketing.
What are the current trends in the eCommerce industry?
The current trends in the eCommerce industry are:
1. The dominance of mobile commerce
2. Wide adaptation of artificial intelligence
3. Inclusion of augmented and virtual reality
4. Maturate social media commerce
5. Focus on omnichannel selling
6. Influence of sustainable practices
7. Versatility in payment (cryptocurrencies)
The eCommerce industry has an excellent prospect, and at the same time, it is constantly changing. That’s why you need to keep yourself updated on the latest top eCommerce statistics and stay ahead of the game.
We hope our article will help you find all the necessary eCommerce stats you need to know. To make your learning complete, we will recommend you stay updated with the latest eCommerce trends.
Don’t hesitate to let us know in the comment section if you have any queries.